Engineer Officer (Fishing Vessel) Class 1
This course prepares students to sit the written and oral examinations required to obtain an Engineer Officer (Fishing Vessel) Class 1 Certificate of Competency from the MCA.
Holders of this certificate are qualified to act as a Chief Engineer on a fishing boat. A Chief Engineer is required on fishing boats over 750 kW (1,000 hp).
- have, or be able to hold, an MCA Notice of Eligibility
- hold valid Personal Survival Techniques, Proficiency in Medical First Aid On Board Ship, and Advanced Fire Fighting certificates (or equivalents)
- At least 21 months qualifying sea service on a fishing vessel of at least 750kW (1,000HP) while holding an Engineer Officer (Fishing Vessel) Class 2 certificate of competency (sea service must be verified by appropriate references or testimonials).
The course prepares students to sit the MCA written and oral examinations required to obtain an Engineer Officer (Fishing Vessel) Class 1 Certificate of Competency.
There are eight written examinations:
- General Engineering Science I
- General Engineering Science II
- Marine Diesel Engineering
- Auxiliary Equipment Part 1
- Operational Procedures, Basic Hotel Services and Ship construction
- Auxiliary Equipment Part 2
- Chief Engineer Statutory and Operational Requirements
- Applied Marine Engineering
This is a 3 month, full-time course delivered at the NAFC Marine Centre.
A distance learning package is available for the Engineering Science part of the course.
Please contact the NAFC Marine Centre to enquire about course dates.
- £3,500 (tuition fee) + exam fee
(Fees are subject to change without notice.)