How Can You Help?
Good practice and a fast response can limit the spread of non-native species. Shetland has few non-native species, but many more are found elsewhere in Scotland. You can help keep Shetland this way.
- Keep boats and structures as free of fouling as possible.
- Check, clean and dry personal gear when moving between different areas.
- Don't throw even small pieces of non-native species back into the water, as some can grow back from tiny bits.
- Keep your eyes open for the Non-Native Species featured in this website.
- If you think you have found one, please Contact NAFC.
Finding a Non-Native Species
If you find a non-native species, you can report it by downloading our introduced species recording form, just fill it in and send to us.
If you have any questions about non-native species or climate change indicator species, or if you think you have found one, please Contact NAFC.