Shetland Islands Marine Spatial Plan
The Shetland Islands Council has adopted the fourth edition of the Shetland Islands’ Marine Spatial Plan (SIMSP) as ‘Supplementary Guidance’ to the Shetland Local Development Plan. The Shetland Local Development Plan together with any Supplementary Guidance sets out the policies and criteria against which planning applications and works licences submitted in Shetland will be considered.
The SIMSP provides an overarching policy framework to guide marine development and activity out to 12 nautical miles. It incorporates authoritative spatial data on the marine environment, its various uses and assets.
The policies and maps in the SIMSP will be material considerations in decision-making on individual marine planning applications and works licences within Shetland’s coastal and marine waters out to 12 nautical miles. It is hoped the SIMSP will also provide a useful resource for all users of the marine environment including developers, planners and regulators.
Documents to Download:
- Shetland Islands' Marine Spatial Plan (SIMSP) - 4th edition (2015)
- SIMSP Strategic Environmental Assessment - Environmental Report
- SIMSP Strategic Environmental Assessment – Non-Technical Summary
- SIMSP Habitats Regulation Appraisal - Record
- SIMSP Strategic Environmental Statement - Post Adoption Statement
You can also download data for use with GIS or Google Earth.
Supporting documents and information:
A number of projects have been developed alongside the Marine Spatial Plan to provide supporting information. These include:
- Regional Locational Guidance for Wave and Tidal Energy
- Review of the Marine Spatial Plan
- Monitoring and mapping invasive non-native marine species
Current and Future Projects
The following projects, funded by Marine Scotland, are being progressed through 2013/2014:
- Mapping cumulative pressure areas based on ecosystem risk assessments
- Collating information to study the impact of fisheries displacement
To contact the Marine Spatial Planning team please email email@example.com or tel: 01595 772000.
Kelly C., Gray L., Shucksmith R., Tweddle JF. (2014) Investigating options on how to address cumulative impacts in marine spatial planning. Oceans and Coastal Management 102, 139-148
Shucksmith, R., Kelly, C. (2014). Data collection and mapping- principles, processes and application in marine spatial planning. Marine Policy 50, 27-33
Shucksmith, R., Gray, L., Kelly, C., Tweddle, J.F. (2014). Regional Marine Spatial Planning- the data collection and mapping process. Marine Policy 50, 1-9
Tweddle, J.F., Gray, L., Kelly, C., Shucksmith, R. (2014). Developing Regional Locational Guidance for wave and tidal energy in the Shetland Islands. Marine Policy 50, 53-66
Kelly C., Gray L., Shucksmith R., Tweddle JF. (2014) Review and evaluation of marine spatial planning in the Shetland Islands. Marine Policy, 46: 152-160