Rachel manages the Marine Spatial Planning section within the NAFC’s department Marine Science and Technology. The section is responsible for delivering the Shetland Islands Regional Marine Plan, as well as undertaking applied research and consultancy projects relating or informing marine management and decision making.
Rachel trained and worked as a marine biologist before undertaking further post-graduate training in environmental decision making. Rachel is particularly interested in how different data types can be used as an evidence base to inform effective decision making, and how stakeholder engagement can improve data quality and acceptance. Over the last 15 years Rachel has led a number of projects that have required the use of multiple data sets to guide development and inform policy development. Many of this projects have been interdisciplinary in nature.
- Link to my PURE web profile for the University of the Highlands and Islands
- Data use to inform policy development
- The use of GIS tools to guide marine development e.g. marine renewables
- Integration of fisheries into marine spatial planning
- Improving the integration of cultural ecosystem services into environmental decision making
- Biosecurity planning and invasive species
- Cumulative impact assessment
- Shelmerdine, R. L., Mouat, B. & Shucksmith, R. (2017) The most northerly record of feral Pacific oyster Crassostrea gigas (Thunberg, 1793) in the British Isles. BioInvasions Records. 6, 1, 57-60
- Gee, K., Kannen, A., Adlam, R., Brooks, C., Chapman, M., Cormier, R., Fischer, C., Fletcher, S., Gubbins, M., Shucksmith, R. & Shellock, R. (2017) Identifying culturally significant areas for marine spatial planning. Ocean & Coastal Management. 136, 139-147 8 p.
- Collin S. B., Tweddle J. F., and Shucksmith R. (2015); Rapid assessment of marine non-native species in the Shetland Islands, Scotland. Bioinvasions Records 4(3): 147-155.
- Shelmerdine, R. L. and Shucksmith R. (2015); Understanding the effect of scale and resolution on predictive habitat maps. ICES Annual Science Conference ICES CM 2015/N:10.
- Shucksmith R. and Shelmerdine R. L. (2015); A risk based approach to non-native species management and biosecurity planning. Marine Policy 59: 32-43.
- Shucksmith R (2015) Mass occurrence of Salpa fusiformis and records of the rare salps Cyclosalpa bakerii and Thetys vagina from northern Scotland. Marine Biodiversity Records vol 8
- Kelly C., Gray L., Shucksmith R., Tweddle JF. (2014) Investigating options on how to address cumulative impacts in marine spatial planning. Oceans and Coastal Management 102, 139-148
- Shucksmith, R., Kelly, C. (2014). Data collection and mapping- principles, processes and application in marine spatial planning. Marine Policy 50, 27-33
- Shucksmith, R., Gray, L., Kelly, C., Tweddle, J.F. (2014). Regional Marine Spatial Planning- the data collection and mapping process. Marine Policy 50, 1-9
- Tweddle, J.F., Gray, L., Kelly, C., Shucksmith, R. (2014). Developing Regional Locational Guidance for wave and tidal energy in the Shetland Islands. Marine Policy 50, 53-66
- Kelly C., Gray L., Shucksmith R., Tweddle JF. (2014) Review and evaluation of marine spatial planning in the Shetland Islands. Marine Policy, 46: 152-160
- Shucksmith, R. (2014) Records of the feather star shrimp Hippolyte prideauxiana in the Orkney Islands and Shetland Islands, northern Scotland—a geographical range expansion. Marine Biodiversity Records vol 7
- Hope R. & Shucksmith R. (2011) Most northerly record of Europe’s smallest marine fish Guillet’s Goby Lebetus guilleti in the Shetland Islands, Scotland. Marine Biology Association- Marine Biodiversity Records 3:e98
- Irvine, H., Hope, R., McEvoy, L (2005) Annual size fluctuations and prey items of Aurellia aurita L. in Sandsound Voe Shetland, UK American Society of Limnology and Oceanography June 4, 2005
- Shelmerdine, R. L., Shucksmith R., and Mouat, B. (2017); Fisheries management in the context of shared seas. Report for Fisheries Innovation Scotland, project FIS014. Pp 54.
- Shucksmith R. (2017) Shetland Islands Marine State of the Environment Assessment. NAFC Marine Centre.
- Collin S. B., MacIver K., and Shucksmith R. (2015); A Biosecurity Plan for the Shetland Islands. NAFC Marine Centre Report, 66 pp.
- Anon (2013) Shetland case study - Socio-economic dimensions in EU fisheries. Report to the ICES (2013) Report of the Joint HZG/LOICZ/ICES Workshop: Mapping Cultural Dimensions of Marine Ecosystem Services (WKCES), 17-21 June, Geesthacht, Germany. ICES CM 2013/SSGHIE:12. 70pp.
- Tweddle, J.F., Kelly, C, Shucksmith, R. (2013). Regional Locational Guidance for wave and tidal energy in the Shetland Islands May 2013. NAFC Marine Centre report. pp13.
- Tweddle, J.F., Gray, L., Kelly, C., Marengo, I., Shucksmith, R. (2012). Regional Locational Guidance for wave and tidal energy in the Shetland Islands. NAFC Marine Centre report. pp32.
Planning and Policy documents
- NAFC Marine Centre (2013) Shetland Islands’ Marine Spatial Plan 4th Edition. pp 201
- NAFC Marine Centre (2013) Shetland Islands’ Marine Spatial Plan 4th Edition: Marine Atlas. pp 64
- NAFC Marine Centre (2013) SEA – Environmental Report for Shetland Islands’ Marine Spatial Plan 4th Edition pp182
- NAFC Marine Centre (2013) HRA Records- Shetland Islands’ Marine Spatial Plan 4th Edition pp108