Capstan Safety Awareness
This half-day course provides an introduction to the safe use of capstan winches. It is relevant to any persons using capstan winches, on workboats, fishing boats, other types of vessel, or in any other setting.
The course can be tailored to suit customers' particular requirements and can be delivered at their location, by arrangement.
The course covers a variety of topics, including:
- Basic principles of how a capstan winch works
- Understanding capstan capabilities (including the capstan equation and coefficient of friction)
- Maintenance, inspection and pre-use checks
- Effective capstan operation
- Signalling and communication
- Supervision of capstan operations
- Effects of different rope specifications
- Health & Safety and other regulation
- Safe working loads (SWL)
- Snap-back zones and zone markings
This is a half-day course delivered at the NAFC Marine Centre, or elsewhere by arrangement.
Courses are usually arranged to suit customers' requirements - please contact the NAFC Marine Centre.
NOTE: For taught course delivery outside Shetland the lecturer's travel and other expenses will be charged in addition to these fees.
(Fees are subject to change without notice.)