Deck Officer (Fishing Vessel) Class 2
This three-month course prepares students to sit the written and oral examinations required to obtain a Deck Officer (Fishing Vessel) Class 2 Certificate of Competency from the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA).
A Class 2 CoC is required by the skippers of UK registered fishing boats more than 16.5 metres in length, and qualifies the holder to command a fishing boat up to 30 metres in length in the Limited Area around the UK, or to act as a mate (deck officer) on any UK registered fishing vessel inside or outside the Limited Area.
- have an MCA Notice of Eligibility.
- have a sight test certificate.
- have at least 3 years sea-time in an acceptable deck capacity on a fishing vessel, including at least 2 years on a vessel over 12m in length.
The course prepares students to sit the MCA oral exam and four SQA/MCA written examinations required to obtain a Deck Officer (Fishing Vessel) Class 1 Certificate of Competency from the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA):
- Chartwork & Pilotage
- Safety & Management
To obtain a CoC, students are also required to have completed the following short courses:
- Proficiency in Medical Care On Board Ship (5-day)
- Navigation Aids & Equipment Simulator Training (NAEST) - Operational
- GMDSS Restricted Operator Certificate OR GMDSS General Operator's Certificate (GOC)
- Advanced Firefighting
This is a three-month, full-time taught course delivered at the NAFC Marine Centre.
Please contact the NAFC Marine Centre to enquire about course dates.
(Fees are subject to change without notice.)