- Pale yellow to dark brown seaweed.
- Grows near the surface.
- Can be over a metre in length.
- When held up out of the water, the side branches hang like clothes on a washing line.
- Found mainland Scotland and Norway.
- Entangles boat propellers.
- Fouls harbour, marina and aquaculture structures.
- Dense mats of detached weed hinder marine recreation and rot on beaches.
- Replaces native seaweeds.
Wireweed in the sea. Image: P Brazier (CCW) © Crown Copyright 2009
Wireweed out of the water, the side branches hanging down in their characteristic fashion. Image: GB NNSS © Crown Copyright 2009